I’ve decided that I either need to quit Twitter fully, or re-engage with it in a different way. For the next week or two I’m going to try out out the following rules, then take it from there:
- filter out tweets with URLs
- not use it during family time
- not use it during work pomodoros (a given)
- turn notifications off
Filtering out URLs is a very heavy-handed way to reduce the amount of news I see. This means I’ve had to switch Twitter clients to ones that allow filtering, namely the TweetDeck Chrome app and Twicca for Android.
I’ll also try a combination of lists to further filter out news.
I’m aiming to see if:
- it’s viable to avoid news
- Twitter is still fun an interesting without news
- I can maintain the presence, engagement and clarity I’ve been feeling lately